Looking after your self is very important. There is no point having normal life expectancy, living longer and not enjoying life to the full.
We know from clinical research that lifestyle changes and self-management skills can really improve your immune system, your energy levels, sleep patterns, help avoid common illnesses and help alleviate the ageing process. Particularly:
- Stopping smoking
- Managing alcohol and recreational drug use
- Managing stress
- Sleep and relaxation
- Adherence to your medication
30 mins five times a week – increase of heart rate/ break a sweat.
- Boosts and supports a healthy immune system
- Can increase bone density (avoiding osteoporosis)
- Reduce risk of major illnesses (Heart disease, diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure)
- Reduction in weight (avoid obesity, diabetes type 2, high cholesterol)
- Mood elevator – releases adrenalin and endorphins
- Increase in energy levels, appetite and sex drive
The Peer Support workers can refer you to the Positive Health scheme at the YMCA where you will receive personalized training sessions and support over twelve weeks . The programme is free.